Destined for space - Germany's first female astronaut

 

Destined for space - Germany's first female astronaut


No gravity. No atmosphere. An endless vacuum of radiation, dust, magnetic fields, and amazing celestial bodies. Where Earth ends and the universe begins. Space. The final frontier.

Astrophysicist Dr. Suzanna Randall is training to become the first female German astronaut in space. She has always been an advocate for equality and women's rights, but it wasn't until she started this program that she realized how much women are still being discriminated against in Germany.

Suzanna has always been fascinated by space, despite no one in her family sharing the same interest. Her fascination began when she saw a photo of the surface of Phobos, one of Mars' moons, in a newspaper. From that moment on, she knew she wanted to explore space.

Suzanna's journey to becoming an astronaut hasn't been conventional. She is part of a private organization called "Die Astronautin" that aims to send Germany's first female astronaut to space. She continues to work at the European Southern Observatory while training for her mission.

Her main job at the observatory is supporting other astronomers using the ALMA telescope in Europe. She also conducts her own research and visits the telescope a few times a year. The observatory is located 5,000 meters above sea level in the Chilean Andes, providing astronomers with a unique view of the stars.

The ALMA telescope is a state-of-the-art instrument that studies molecular gas and dust, essential components of stars, planets, and galaxies. It consists of 66 high-precision antennae spread over 16 kilometers. The engineering of the telescope is impressive, but what truly stands out to Suzanna is the breathtaking natural landscape at such high altitude.

While working at the observatory, Suzanna has to undergo regular medical checkups due to the challenging working conditions and high altitude. The environment surrounding the ALMA telescope resembles that of Mars or the Moon, with barren landscapes and difficult breathing conditions.

In 2008, when Suzanna saw an advertisement from the European Space Agency (ESA) seeking new astronauts, she decided to apply. Although she didn't make it far in the selection process that time, she remains determined to pursue her dream of becoming an astronaut.

My Journey to Becoming an Astronaut

When I first attempted to become an astronaut, I didn't have much confidence in myself. I saw it as an intelligence test and didn't believe I had what it takes. Unsurprisingly, I failed the test. I was disappointed and berated myself for years.

Then, in 2016, I saw an advertisement for the first female German astronaut. Despite my previous failure, I decided to give it another shot. I was determined to not let my past mistakes hold me back. I applied and eventually made it through the initial rounds.

Die Astronautin, LLC, the only space startup in Europe focused on astronaut missions and marketing space flights, was behind this opportunity. It was disheartening to realize that even after 50 years since the moon landing, there were still no German women in space. I spoke to politicians and heads of space agencies, and they agreed that there was a lack of trained women in Germany. The selection criteria were set by men, which contributed to the absence of German women in previous selections.

Tired of waiting for change, I took matters into my own hands. I posted a job for the first female German astronaut and applied myself. After going through a series of tough tests, including English, math, physics, and cognitive assessments, I made it to the next round.

The second round focused more on psychological tests and teamwork exercises. Despite feeling like I had failed, I unexpectedly made it to the next round. The medical tests followed, with a strong emphasis on eye health. Finally, after a challenging journey, I became one of the eight finalists.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the final selection. It was a devastating blow, and I had to come to terms with the disappointment. I took some time away from Germany and immersed myself in work to regain focus and clarity.

Although my dream of becoming an astronaut was not realized, I learned valuable lessons along the way. The experience taught me the importance of perseverance and believing in myself. I may not have reached my goal, but the journey was worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secrets of time travel?

What Happened to the Astronaut Who Was Lost in Space for 311 Lonely Days?

THE SIGHTS OF SPACE: A Voyage to Spectacular Alien Worlds